Sunday, September 9, 2012

Starting PA school

In the Fall of 2007 I began my journey to become a physician assistant.  It was something I was not necessarily ready to complete for two simple reasons.  One, I was fresh from a deployment to Iraq and had not had any closure from my overseas tour.  Second, I was in my early thirties with a family who happened to be going through adjustment pains of their own.  It would be a long journey, mostly painful, but in the end I was just hopeful it would be worth it.

Prior to deploying to Iraq I had been accepted into the Pennsylvania College of Technology (Penn College) Physician Assistant Program.  It is one of the few remaining four year programs in the country, most PA schools are masters programs, you need to have bachelors prior to starting.  However, Penn College, still being a bachelors program, only requires you to meet the pre-requisites prior to being accepted into the professional phase of the program that consists of what would be the junior and senior years of the bachelors degree.  I had nailed down all but five classes that I needed prior to deploying to Iraq, I would complete microbiology while deployed, and then complete one semester at Penn College prior to starting the professional phase in August 2007.  Luckily, since I had been accepted prior to deploying, I was granted an automatic seat into the program, this meant I would not have to got through the interview process like many of the other students applying.  As long as I finished my pre-requisites and kept my grades at the required level I would start the program without the need to fight other candidates for my seat.

I completed statistics, cell biology, organic chemistry, and a communications requirement without too much difficulty.  It was as simple as that, I qualified for my automatic seat and started the program on time.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  The pace of the school would be much more than I expected, I was about to try and complete this medical professionals program all while recovering from my deployment to Iraq and trying to be a father and husband, it was an uphill battle and one that my family and I almost lost.  Those details are in the book also.


I will elaborate on the curriculum of PA school next.  Not a simple task for someone who was in their right mind, much more difficult for those who do not have all the pieces of their life in place when they begin the school.  It can be unforgiving, and I came close to flushing all I had managed to accomplish down the toilet.  It would be a painful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment